It is Back to School Time once again. As drivers we all need to be more careful when driving as more children will be walking, biking and taking school busses to school. Be patient and aware of Teen drivers on the road. Give them some space. Prepare your children for their walk or ride to school.
The National Safety Council (www.nsc.org) provides some excellent safety tips for you as your children return to school. If you do not have any school age children pass this onto someone who does.
Walking to School
- Review your family’s walking safety rules
- Walk on sidewalks when available. If one is not available then walk facing the traffic
- Never dart in front of a parked car
- Before you cross the street look all ways to see if cars are coming
- Practice walking to school with your child
Riding a Bike to School
- Make sure your child always wears a helmet
- Teach your children the rules of the road they need to know to ride their bicycles.
- Ride on the right side of the road and in single file
- Come to a complete stop before crossing the street
Riding the bus to school
- Go to the bus stop with your child and teach them the proper way of getting on and off the bus
- Make sure your children stand six feet away from the curb
Preventing backpack-related injuries
- Chose a backpack for your child carefully.
- Don’t overstuff a backpack; it should weigh no more than 10 to 20% of your child’s body weight.
- Ask your children to use both straps when wearing their backpack to evenly distribute the weight.
Have a great school year. For more tips visit our website at www.spencerinsurance.com