Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend. Don’t forget to set back your clocks so you can enjoy that extra hour of sleep.
Now that you are rested take action to protect your family by replacing all the batteries in your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. How many times do we hear about a row home in Philadelphia that caught fire and someone died in the fire? There were no working smoke detectors. Go out, buy a bunch of batteries and replace them now. It could end up being the best money you spent.
Here are some Fall home maintenance tips to help you avoid possible claims. Even if you have the proper protection, filing a claim is still an inconvenience. Plus most homeowner’s insurance deductibles are $1,000. So take these steps now to prevent the loss:
- Clear all leaves from your gutters and nearby storm drains to prevent water backup
- Inspect your roof for damage or loose shingles
- Trim trees and bushes that are rubbing against your house or roof.
- Turn off all your outside faucets and hose connections to prevent pipes freezing and bursting.
- Have a professional tune up your furnace, wood stove and chimney to prevent explosions, fires and puff-backs.
- Test your sump pump to make sure the battery is working. Consider a battery back-up if you do not have one. Google “how to test a sump pump.”
- Winterize the lawn mower so it works next Spring.
- Get ready for winter
- Make sure you have enough shovels and ice melt
- Put your snow removers and ice scrappers in the car.
- Tune up the snow blower before you need it.
- Check out this website for more winter tips.
At Spencer Insurance Agency we want to help you with ways to reduce your insurance costs. Regular home maintenance is one of the best ways to save on Homeowner’s Insurance. For more tips on saving money on your homeowner’s insurance check out our report: Spencer’s Tips: How to Save Money And what you need to know about your Homeowner’s Insurance.
Remember, The True Cost of Insurance includes what you need to pay out of pocket because you did not have the right protection.