Do I need a special ID card when traveling into Canada?


Canadian ID cards, also known as Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Cards, are required for individuals using their cars to travel to Canada.  U.S. insurers file with Canadian authorities a Power of Attorney and Undertaking (PAU), in which the company agrees to certain conditions. One of these conditions is to meet the minimum third-party liability limits required in the province or territory where the accident took place (in most Canadian jurisdictions, the compulsory third-party liability limit is C$200,000; Nova Scotia is C$500,000). Companies which have filed a PAU can then order and issue a Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card (the “Canadian ID Card”) to their insureds for driving into Canada. This insurance card is used as evidence of insurance coverage if a traveler is stopped by enforcement officials or involved in an accident in Canada. Without it, the traveler may be fined for driving without adequate insurance. (Courtesy of IA&B)

If you are taking your car into Canada call our office to get your Canadian ID Card.



More To Explore

Spencer Rewards Program

Your word of mouth testimonials to friends, family, and neighbors are the best compliment we can receive! If you know someone who would benefit from

Scroll to Top

Get a Quote

Fill out the form below and one of our
representatives will get in touch with you shortly!

Skip to content