The Fall Season can be a beautiful time of the year in our area. With cooler temperatures and the leaves changing, the fall is a great time of the year to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors.
Fall is also a great time to prepare for those cold winter days that are coming.
Here are a few tips to prepare your home and auto for winter:
- Put the ice scraper and snow removal tool in your car. Remember a few years ago we had a snowstorm in October?
- Check the tread on your tires to make sure you have proper traction in the snow.
- Replace worn wiper blades.
- Prepare a winter emergency Kit for your home and auto. Check out this page for some kit ideas.
- Have your furnace serviced and cleaned by a qualified Technician. Replace your furnace filter.
- Move flammable materials away from your house and attached garage. Keep them in a shed away from your home.
- Insulate pipes that are exposed to cold areas in the house.
- Check for damage to your roof and gutters. Clean any debris from your gutters.
- Have your chimney inspected by a professional.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust ducts and space under the dryer.
- Check your fire extinguishers to make sure they are not out of date. If you are not sure it’s best to replace them.
- Trim trees around your house so the weight of ice and snow will not cause them to rub against your home.
- If you have a storm sewer near your home make sure it is clear of any debris like sticks and leaves.
A little maintenance on your home now can save you from having a claim later. This can help you save money on your homeowner’s insurance. For more tips on saving money on your auto and homeowner’s policies go to our website. Enjoy the Fall weather and let’s hope we have a better winter this year. Call us today if we can be of service for any of your insurance needs.