This Thursday our nation celebrates the July 4th holiday with parades, cookouts and fireworks. Let us remember all those who fought for our Freedom and continue to protect this Freedom!
All of us at Spencer Insurance Agency wish you and your family a wonderful holiday. We hope you are able to sit back and relax.
Fireworks during the Fourth of July are as American as apple pie, but did you know that more than twice the number of fires are reported on that day than on any other day of the year in the United States?
Two out of five of these fires are caused by fireworks. The good news is you can enjoy your holiday and the fireworks, with just a few simple safety tips:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
Have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July.