- Beach and Pool: Skin Cancer is a serious problem. Make sure you use sunscreen, UVA/UVB sunglasses, and wear a hat to avoid prolong exposure to the sun.
- Grill Safety: Keep an eye on that gas grill and make sure the hoses have not been chewed by animals. Make sure to clean the grill periodically as grease buildup can cause flare ups and fires. Charcoal grills are more dangerous than gas grills. Be careful when applying the lighter fluid. The location of your grill is critical. Keep it away from your house and garage. Be careful if you grill on the deck especially with charcoal grills. A house on my street had a fire that was caused by a coal that escaped from the bottom of the charcoal grill and fell under the deck. The coal smoldered until later that night when flames shot up the side of the house.
- Water safety: Learn more about pool and boat safety. The American Red Cross offers tips on their website at http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/water-safety. The U.S. Coast Guard offers many tips for boater’s safety. Consider taking a Coast Guard safety course which are offered locally. Check out the Coast Guard website at http://www.uscgboating.org.
- Make sure you check on your elderly neighbors and family. Make sure their homes are properly ventilated with fans or air conditioning to keep them cool and safe.
- Pets: Make sure you protect your pets from the heat. Keep them in shady areas and do not do any strenuous exercising with them when it is hot. Stay away from asphalt and sandy areas as their paws could burn. Make sure they have plenty of water even when you travel or take them with you on a summer picnic. Make sure you protect them from fleas and ticks as you don’t want your home to become infested with these annoying bugs.
Spencer Insurance Agency has many valuable Summer reports on our website at www.spencerinsurance.com. Some of the topics we discuss on our website are:
- Taking your child to college? How is your insurance coverage affected?
- Should I purchase the extra coverage for the car I rent while on vacation?
- School is out! Time for that talk with your teen driver (see our teen driver corner in this newsletter).
- Are your “Summer Toys” properly covered? (Boats, jet ski, motorcycle, ATV or golf cart)
Spencer Insurance Agency is always ready to discuss your safety and protection with you. Call us today with any questions at 215-885-2200. You can also email us or visit our website for more tips.
All of us at Spencer Insurance Agency hope you have a safe and enjoyable summer!