As always we want to provide you with some tips to help make your summer an enjoyable experience. A little preparation will help prevent you from having to file a claim, pay a deductible and see your auto or homeowner’s insurance rates climb.
Here are some tips for around the yard this summer:
- If you have a home playground, make sure there is a soft surface under the playground. Over the winter the wood chips under the playground may have gotten hard. Add another layer of wood chips or make sure there is a soft surface in case your child falls.
- Be careful when mowing the lawn to make sure there are not any objects hidden in the lawn that will damage the mower or you.
- If you have a pool check to make sure the fence around the pool is in good repair and that all gates lock work properly. Go over pool safety and rules with your children.
- Make sure you have the proper insurance for your toys such as jet skis, boats, motorcycles, ATVs and golf carts. Many of these are not covered under your auto or homeowner’s insurance policies. Call us and make sure you have coverage.
Going on a vacation? Here are some more tips:
- Secure your vehicle. Make sure all items are stored properly and will not fly out of your car or off your roof rack. Check your trailer to make sure the tires and trailer are in good shape.
- Prepare your home for vacation by making sure all the windows and doors are locked. Shut off your water to prevent a leak from becoming a lake in your home while you are away.
- Make sure you have a neighbor or friend check on your house and have any newspapers or mail brought into your house. Keep some lights on a timer to give the house a “lived in” look.
- If you will be away for a while arrange to have someone cut your lawn.
- Facebook and Twitter Users: DO NOT mention that you are going away on your Facebook page or Twitter. You are alerting people and thieves that you will not be home. It gives them a great opportunity to rob your house while you are away. When you get back post what a great time you had.
I wish you all a restful and enjoyable summer. If you have any questions about any of your coverages while on vacation give us a call.