As the holiday shopping season gets into high gear Spencer Insurance Agency wants you to take measures to protect your wallet, credit cards, debits cards and ID cards. We read about Identity Theft every day so protect yourself and know what to do if your wallet is stolen.
Here is a tip we emailed to our clients recently.
Have you ever had your wallet stolen? If you have, then you’ve had that gut wrenching feeling in the pit of your stomach because someone has just stolen who you are. Most everyone’s wallets hold the keys to their identity. Below are a few protection points we’d like to share with you; you might have had your wallet stolen, but don’t let them steal your identity. Be prepared!
- Have toll free numbers and credit cards lists ready in a handy place. Cancel cards immediately.
- File a police report in the jurisdiction of the theft.
- Call the three national credit reporting agencies and have them put a “fraud alert” on your name and social security number.
- If you suspect someone is fraudulently using you SSN, call the SSA fraud line.
Important Numbers to Keep Handy:
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
- Experian (formerly TRW) 1-888-397-3742
- Social Security Administration Fraud Line: 1-800-269-0271
A little planning can save you a lot of time if you wallet is stolen. So take a couple minutes now to protect your identity. Most homeowners have the ability to purchase Identity Theft coverage on your homeowner’s policy. Check with your agent to make sure you have this valuable coverage. For additional tips, including tips on saving money on your homeowner’s insurance and car insurance check out our resource page at www.spencerinsurance.com.