What to do if you are in a car accident.


Charlie teen driver accident 001

Having a car accident can be a very traumatic experience especially when it is your first accident. Most car accidents are minor events so we want to give you a few tips.  Cell phones can be very helpful in the event of an auto accident.  Try to make sure the phone is fully charged when driving so you can use it to take pictures and call for help.  Here are a few tips should you have a car accident.

First, be prepared in the event you have a claim:

  • Review your coverage with Spencer Insurance Agency to make sure you have the coverage you need.
  • Have one of our ID card holders with your vehicle registration, insurance card and emergency contact information. (The ID card holder has tips on what to ask for when exchanging information.  Call us for one if you don’t have one in every car you own.)
  • Pen and paper
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Raingear (poncho) and blanket

When in an accident:

  • Pull over to a nearby safe location if possible. If not move yourself and your passengers to a safe location near your car.
  • Stay calm and treat everyone courteously.
  • Call 911 immediately if there are any injuries. If you are injured do nothing but wait for help.
  • Contact the police. If there are no injuries or a car does not need to be towed the police may not come.
  • Try to locate witnesses.
  • Use your cell phone to:
    • Take a picture of the other driver’s license and insurance ID card.
    • Take a picture of the other car’s license plate.
    • Take a picture of the damage to the other car and your car.
    • Take a picture of the driver and any other people in the other car.
  • Exchange information but do not admit fault. Apologizing may seem to be the nice thing to do but you could be admitting fault.
    • Name, phone number, address, email address, license number and the names of all occupants and witnesses
    • Insurance information including company name, policy number and phone number. (If other driver does not have insurance ID card call the police and tell them driver does not have proof of insurance.
    • Get officer’s name and badge number.
    • Find out the location of the accident (city, township or borough) so you can get a copy of the police report.
  • If your car is not drivable call for roadside assistance. Some car insurance policies will include towing/roadside assistance otherwise the police will help you find a tow company.
  • After you have collected the information call your insurance company and report the accident. Most Insurance ID cards will have the claim number of the company and your policy number.
  • Call your agent

We hope you never have a car accident. Spencer Insurance Agency wants you to be prepared if you do.  Make sure all drivers, especially teen drivers know what to do when they have an accident.  Please feel free to print this email and put it in with your ID card.  Call us at 215-885-2200 to review your coverage before you have an accident.  Happy Spring!


More To Explore

Scroll to Top
Skip to content